Saturday, July 11, 2009

KL in 6 hours

We woke up this morning around 830 am ready for a day of traveling alone! We both definitely weren't ready for thai food that early, so opted for fried eggs with wheat bread + fruit. We eat a lot of eggs!

After breakfast, we relaxed a little (aka let the aircon blow on us at near-zero since we knew how hot airports in thailand can be) before getting into our taxi at 1030.
It was so sad to say goodbye to Marissa! It gets lonely traveling alone + not having someone to laugh with about nothing. Luckily I'm only alone in Kuala Lumpur for half the day + then fly to Gold Coast at 1020 am. I'm so excited to be in a new place.Saying goodbye to Marissa through the domestic/international glass door partition

So after saying goodbye to Marissa, I went on through the international terminal (all 3 gates) + waited for a couple hours for my flight. We boarded 20 minutes before our 1250pm liftoff + left on time. Everyone takes so much longer in the states. Asia is so fast, Europe comes next, then lazy America.

I expected my flight to be 3 hours. So I put on my sleeping mask + then was woken up by a stewardess an hour later. I was pretty confused, until I realized we were landing! After 4 weeks, I still can't change time zones without getting confused.

I took a bus from the airport to KL Central + then a taxi to my hostel. The room is pretty bare, but clean enough for one night. No more luxurious hotels anymore. Sigh.

I set out to explore the city before it got too dark. First stop was the Central Market. There was some cool stuff + also lots of touristy stuff. I then took the metro-type thing to the twin towers, but unfortunately they were closed for the night. Like any good American girl, I saw the mall beneath the towers + browsed while enjoying the air-conditioning. I then took the metro a couple stops back to get off at Little India to go to the market. There was a very cool mosque right when I got off the train. Visitors weren't allowed in, but I got some pictures. Malaysia is so full of Muslims. Every store in the market is full of the head coverings + long shirts + pants. When I arrived into KL, I had on a long skirt + a tank top. I threw on a loose short sleeve tshirt after I dropped off my backpack, + I still felt naked compared to most of the women. I definitely only saw tank tops on a few younger westerners.

Nearby the mosque, was the Indian night market, full of lots of fun stuff. I decided to get dinner at an Indian restaurant. I got naan bread, this rice + carrot thing, a delicious potato curry, some pickled veggies, and a really good veggie dish with bright yellow coloring + lots of bok choy. The owner brought out a couple of those things even though I hadn't ordered them. In total, the whole meal was under $2. Crazy. Scott, remember how much our Indian dinner cost in London?

I then headed back towards my hostel, as it was getting a dark out. I stopped by Chinatown + was hoarded at every street vendor I walked by. My bartering skills have definitely gotten better. You drop their asking price to 1/3, barter a little, walk away + you can usually get it for 5 over whatever you said originally. They usually come calling + running after you. Easy peasy.
Got a new watch since I broke my last cheap one. No more room for stuff from asia. Saving the little room I have left for some australian souveniers.
So I'm back in my room + packing up. I want to stay up really late so I can sleep on my long flight to Australia + be ready for some action when I get in at 830 pm tommorow night. Unfortunately I haven't made any friends at the hostel + I'm not about to go to a bar by myself! So looks like Ill be in bed soon + probably will be up the whole plane ride...see you in Australia!

2 comments:

  1. Have a great time in Awstrahlyuh, mate! Just mind your diggerydo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i told you to stay in the nice hotel!!!

    ReplyDelete