Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Ciao

Scott + I explored the Colosseum, which he loved. He describes it as the first football stadium ever.
Since our tickets included the palatino + the roman forums, we continued on. I was quite amazed with the palatino. I wasn't sure what it even was until we got there, but it is the old roman city. It was on a beautiful hill with lots of trees (we got some good pics) + I just loved looking around. The forum (or what was left of it) was also so massive + just amazing.
Palatino

The Roman Forum

After our site seeing, we rented bikes for the day to get around town. We went to the Spanish steps + then had lunch.


Spanish Steps

I got delicous pesto linguine that was so rich. I definitely couldn't finish it, so Scott stepped in. We then biked back to Trastevere but realized all the shops + restaurants (the market area I loved) on the water were closed. So we went down the streets (still an awesome place) + got some gelato. We walked around for a while, then biked on home to shower + rest before our last dinner in Rome.

We went to a restaurant by the colosseum which was super crowded sat night. We got a 4 euro bottle of wine + alfredo with mushrooms + chicken a la roma. We weren't very impressed, and decided the wine was the reason it was crowded.

It tasted just as gross as it looked!

We then walked back to trastevere for a real dinner + had an amazing one! I got a cheese pizza + Scott got chicken. It was really delicious. The pizza was so flaky + thin. I haven't had a better pizza in Italy! And it was only 3 euro! Yummy.

MOST AMAZING PIZZA EVER

We headed back home (where I got eaten alive by mosquitos again), with some shopping breaks on the way.

In the morning Scott had one last kebab before I sent him off on a train to the Rome Airport. I was a little nervous to be going around Rome by myself.

This could literally be from any day of our trip

Bye Scott!

My first stop: getting my laundry washed. I went to a little place my hostel recommended + they did it for me! While I was dropping it off, I met two very nice grad students from the US who were also doing their laundry + backpacking. They complimented me on my belt + the rest is history! We became friends + they decided they wanted to go with me to the sistene chapel. I felt so relieved I wouldn't be alone all day. I was a little weary at first, because scott + I never made friends, but they were pretty legit. I ended up having a lot of fun with them too.

We took the metro to the vatican musuems + went about exploring. We snuck in on some tours, which really made the experience more enjoyable (as we understood what we were looking at).

Good view of the Ceiling

Pretty famous part

My new friends

After we spent a couple hours seeing the musuems + the sistene chapel, I left them because I had to get my laundry before 6. It was about 2:15. I stopped for lunch on the way to the metro and had delicious bruschetta (with tomatoes). In Italy, bruschetta just means bread with olive oil. Bruschetta with pomodoro means bruschetta with tomatoes.

While eating, I took some pictures of the couple next to me (for them) + we became friends. They were a young couple from Holland on vacation for a couple days in Rome. They invited me to their table + we talked for the next 2 and a half hours about the differences between healthcare, schooling, + prostitutition/soft drugs. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Around 5 I had to pull myself away + get on the metro to go back to Termini, get my laundry, backpack, + get on a train to the airport. I am currently on the train + very excited to get on my plane to Bangkok.

Interestingly enough, I feel like I am finally 'backpacking' now that I am meeting people. And I am definitely still being safe mom + dad. I promise. I can't believe how much fun I had today, considering I thought I would be wandering the city without anything to do or anyone to accompany me. This really is 'the life'.

1 comment:

  1. Scott,

    Thanks for accompanying Lauren on the incredible adventure.

    Sounds like you really had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete