Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Bangkok

I love Thailand so far. I feel so lucky to be here + to see such an interesting culture.

I took a bus + then a tuk tuk + was dropped off in front of my hostel. It was so nice to see Marissa! She of course told me I was ripped off by the tuk-tuk, which I had assumed I would because I forgot to look up how much to pay before I left. But hey, I should have paid 50 baht instead of 200, which means I overpaid by about 4 dollars! Makes my 50 euro eurail fine seem like highway robbery (which it was).

So I did a quick change + Marissa + I were off. The room was super cold which was amazing considering how hot it is outside...it is like a permanent sauna here.

So we had our first experience (Marissa had yet to try real Thai food in her 3 days in Bangkok) of eating Thai street food. We decided since we don't even like meat, we will just avoid it all together so we don't get sick. So we got pad Thai + fried rice both with vegetables + eggs + 2 waters for 60 baht, or less than 2 US dollars. Thailand is really, really cheap! And the food is delicious.


Next stop was to take a very touristy one hour private longtail boat tour of the very dirty river. It was quite enjoyable + also so so much cooler. We went pretty fast + the breeze was heaven. It was very sad to be going through areas where there were beautiful palaces and wots and then seeing such poverty everywhere else.
The longtail boat

The Grand Palace


We then went back + showered + got ready to see the nightlife of Khao San Road (backpackers district). Funny thing is that we got to 'Khao San Road' + were like this isn't that crowded. After we met some Brits, we were informed Khao San Road was actually the next street. And crowded it was. Another funny/not funny thing. This little boy below was trying to sell flowers + kissed us on the cheek. We thought it was cute. When we politely declined, he started pinching us + ended up biting Marissa. Not so cute anymore.


We met plenty of people, had more pad thai, + ran away from a couple groups of guys who we got bored of.


We took a tuk tuk home + fell blissfully asleep. Unfortunately when we woke up we both felt very nauseous. Not sure if it was the food or the beer. Welcome to Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment