Tuesday, July 21, 2009

On the road again

We had an eventful Tuesday morning, as we spotted a humongous lizard the length of a medium sized dog. It was crazy. While we were on the beach I saw another one! I finished my book (Into the Wild) + started a new one (A Fine Balance) + then we headed up to the restaurant for our final lunch. I got a chicken + sweet corn soup that reminded me of chicken noodle soup, one of my least favorite soups....luckily we have a stock-pile of snacks.
Our cabin

Huge lizard

We headed up to reception to be picked up by our shuttle bus. Our first stop after about 30 minutes was Victoria Lookout to see a gorgeous view of the area. Then I licked a green ant's butt. Our tourguide told us to because there is ascorbic acid on it so it tastes tangy (think vitamin c, citrus). We also saw a spider web with a gazillion tiny, tiny spiders.

30 minutes later we arrived at Mossman's Gorge, a beautiful river with lots of rocks + trails through the rainforest. We hung out around the swimming hole + I avoided entering the freezing water.

Mossman's Gorge

Another 30 minute drive brought us to Port Douglas, a cute town with lots of shops + cafes. We got some ice cream + explored. On our ride back, we stopped at Rex's Lookout for some great views + made it back to our hostel in Cairns by 615.

Lindsay looking for Gossip Girls books in Port Douglas

Rex's Lookout

We quickly got ready + went to our "Ultimate Party" thing that had been booked with all our stuff. They had this party bus thing (like a school bus) with an open roof + really crazy music + they bring you to a bunch of different bars. They had dinner first...an array of potatoe salad, noodles, salad, onions + sasauge. It was pretty good. At the bar we met a kid from Jupiter (where I grew up). He was 18 + it made me feel old because I swear I was just 16. Most of the people were really young + it was pretty entertaining. There were a lot of raunchy party games that I definitely did not take part in. It's hard being so mature. And best part was at the 3rd bar, they had free pizza.

At the Ultimate Party

We had lots of fun. Met up with some boys Laura + Linds had met in Noosa + then went on home. At 6 am, a girl from Tawain checked into our room. She preceded to snore louder than anyone I have ever heard. It was this nasal-y loud sucking thing that woke me up. Ill try + get a recording of it tonight.

This morning, after breakfast, we headed over to the lagoon. We are enjoying a relaxing day full of laying, eating, + our last night on the town. I have a 620 am flight to Coolangatta, which means I'll probably not be sleeping much.

No comments:

Post a Comment