Friday, July 24, 2009

Last day :(

Currently enjoying a dinner at a delicious restaurant with the company of my glass of wine. I've already gotten a free appetizer...maybe they think I'm a food critic.

I woke up at the very early time of 415am, checked out + got on the shuttle to the airport. The plane was delayed a little, but I managed by eating a croissant + talking to a nice woman who used to own a farm outside of gold coast + is now retired with her husband. As soon as I got on the plane, the eye mask was on + I got some much needed solid sleep. Woke up 2 hours later in Coolangatta. I took a couple buses + the train to Brisbane (total of 2 and a half hours) to find out I would need to take the train back that night because the earliest train wouldn't get me back to the airport in time. I brought my backpack to the hostel Laura + Linds had stayed in + loved + they let me store it there for the day. I set out to explore the city as best as I could. I took a long walk along the river, which was absolutely wonderful. I haven't gotten much exercise in the past month + this felt great. I walked through the botanical gardens along the water + read my book for a bit. The river was so pretty + there was a nice chill in the air. I wanted to walk around south bank market thing along the water that linds had loved, but it appeared to be more of a night thing. I did walk around for a bit + got some great exercise...so it ended up successful. Unfortunately, I was just too stressed about having to get a train back to really let my guard down, so around 3ish I decided to head back to Coolangatta to stay the night near the airport. I'm not very good at exploring a city alone. But Brisbane was really lovely.

Brisbane

Walking through the botanical gardens along the water

I ended up getting to my hostel around 630. The receptionist was very nice + checked me into an 8 person dorm that had no one else in it. This was the same hostel we had stayed in before. The only problems with it were the lack of shower (I hate when it isn't partitioned from the rest of the bathroom) + the blaring noise all night. Luckily I was in the market for not being able to sleep, to get back to US time + sleep all day tommorow instead of tonight. And my room happened to be on a different side of the hall + guess what (this is mainly for laura + linds), there is an entire female bathroom with nice showers. To think we missed out on showering...

After dropping my stuff, I headed to the oceanside road + carefully selected a restaurant to spoil myself at. I had a long, long day + the next 2 will be the same...so this was justified. I enjoyed a delicious veggie penne with pumpkin, sundried tomatoes, peppers, pesto, eggplant, zucchini. It was my kind of dish; greater veggie to pasta ratio. My dinner, along with a glass of wine and followed by bread pudding with ice cream and vanilla sauce, and all the while with my trusted blackberry for entertainment, had successfully led to the perfect last meal.

Don't worry, I'lll still be eating in airports + on planes.

No comments:

Post a Comment